pipeline-2018.svg

Search

Categories

Alaska rig - web.jpg

Eni takes control of Alaska's Oooguruk oil field

Jan 03, 2019
2 min read
Print this page

Italy's Eni has agreed to acquire 70 per cent and operatorship of the Oooguruk oil field in Alaska from its partner Caelus Natural Resources Alaska. Eni already owns the remaining 30 per cent working interest.

The agreement is subject to the approval of the authorities and to certain closing conditions.

The Oooguruk oil field, located in the Beaufort Sea approximately 5 km off Alaska’s North Slope coast, has been in production since 2008, and current gross production is of approximately 10,000 barrels of oil per day (bopd) from 25 producing wells and 15 gas/water injector wells.

Production facilities are located on an artificial gravel island, located in just 1.5 meters of water depth with dry production trees, which provide for safe and environmentally responsible production operations, comparable to those of an onshore field.  Additionally, Eni will leverage on the existing excellent relationships and cooperation with the local communities.

Eni already is the operator, with 100 per cent working interest, of the Nikaitchuq oil field, located approximately 13 km North-East of Oooguruk. Nikaitchuq has been in production since 2011 and currently produces about 18,000 bopd.

The acquisition of the 70 per cent of Oooguruk will, according to Eni, allow it to immediately increase its Alaska production by approximately 7,000 bopd gross, and to implement important operational synergies and optimisations between Oooguruk and Nikaitchuq, both operated at 100 per cent.

Eni said it plans to drill further production wells at Oooguruk and Nikaitchuq, with the target to increase its total Alaska production beyond 30,000 boed. This operation will also further strengthen Eni’s presence in the region, after the recent acquisition in August 2018 of 124 exploration leases (for a total of approximately 350,000 acres) located in the Eastern North Slope of Alaska.

RELATED POSTS